The Rappahannock River District (RRD) Scholarship Program
Higher Education has always been a hallmark of the United Methodist Church. The value of resources for continued learning and higher education is fundamental to United Methodism. In keeping with our tradition of supporting higher learning, the Rappahannock River District (RRD) of the United Methodist Church has created a Student Scholarship Program. The program is maintained and administered by the RRD and is not connected with any other United Methodist board, agency, or entity. Scholarships will be awarded to applicants who meet the program criteria as funding allows. Persons eligible to apply are those who are attending or who plan to attend a college or trade school, persons who are members of a United Methodist Church on the Rappahannock River District, and persons who are enrolled in a program that presents a degree or certification.
Applicants are also encouraged to explore additional scholarship opportunities provided by the General Board of Higher Education, the Virginia Conference, local civic organizations, secular organizations, and your local church.
- Where and when will applications be made available?
- Below on this page
- By email request to the district office
- From your pastor
- In district weekly email newsletters
- Applications will be available on or before April 1, 2022.
- Where should the applications be sent?
- Applications may be emailed to the district office with the subject line, “RRD Scholarship Committee” or may be mailed addressed to RRD Scholarship Committee, through the US postal service to P. O. Box 100, Ladysmith, Virginia, 22501.
- All applications must be received in the office by May 16, 2022 at 4:00pm. Note that the deadline is firm. We will send you an email notice when we receive your application.
- Who is eligible to apply?
- Applicants must have joined a United Methodist Church on the RRD prior to January 1, 2022 and;
- Applicants must be a current member of a UMC on the RRD and;
- Applicants must enroll in and attend a Trade School or College/University in the United States and;
- Applicants must provide their Student Identification Number to receive a scholarship award and;
- Scholarship awards are at the discretion of the RRD Scholarship Committee, are final, and are not subject to appeal.
- What are the criteria for the award?
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Active Participant in local UMC church on the RRD
- Activities in the broader community e.g. neighborhood, school, scouting, volunteering with Fire Department, Rescue Squad, etc.
- What amounts of scholarships will be awarded?
- Scholarship award amounts will be determined by the committee annually based on available Rappahannock River District funds;
- How many times can an applicant apply?
- Applicants may reapply in each year of enrollment;
- How and when will the scholarship funds be distributed?
- Award notifications will occur via email by June 15, 2022. Funds will be distributed directly to schools after that.
- Scholarship awards will be provided in the form of a check payable to the educational institution into the student account.
- Applicant must provide the RRD with the mailing address of the particular office at the school (Financial Aid, Student Accounts, etc.) where award should be sent. A general mailing addressing of the school is not sufficient.
- If the information isn’t available at the time of the award notice, the FIRM deadline for having this information to the office is July 15, 2022. If the District Office has not received the correct address for the specific office at the school by that date, then the student may lose the scholarship.
The RRD reserves the right to discontinue the Scholarship Program at any time prior to award notifications (particularly if funding challenges arise).
Awards will be provided without regard to gender identity, race, age, cultural background, or other such factors. The Scholarship Award is to be used for the upcoming academic year. The funds may be used for other educational bills such as books and fees in addition to tuition.
Applications will be reviewed by the RRD Scholarship Committee which consists of the following: District Superintendent, District Laity, District Lay Leader(s), and District Clergy;
|Tuesday, 01 March 2022 20:03